Commercial Health Insurance for a Czech Trade License

Generally speaking, Foreign Nationals (including EU citizens) that do not have a permanent residence permit or are not employed in Czech Republic cannot enroll into the Public Health Care. EU and US citizens can get into Public Health Care with a Trade License, though.

Note that there are very many exceptions and therefore we always look at your options during the first consultation - because Public Health Care has certain benefits, and in some cases we can even get children / spouses in the Public Health Care without additional payments.

DISCLAIMER: The legislation on health insurance has changed many times without prior warning. Also insurance conditions are subject to constant change. What is normal in your country may work very differenly in Czech Republic.

Commercial Health Insurance for non-EU on a Business Visa:

Most, but certainly not all, people with a long-term D-Visa for Business do not pay monthly Public Health Care contributions, but instead they prepay commercial health insurance for the duration of their visa, which price depends on gender and age - but not on income.

For a applying and extending the long-term D-Visa, from 02.08.2021, the only acceptable commercial insurance is from Pojišťovna VZP, a. s.. Previously, also similar insurance products of different companies (Maxima, Slavia, AXA) were acceptable, but already then the PVZP was our favorite, because clients experienced the least trouble with PVZP - it is the sister organisation of the largest Public Health Care provider, VZP. We recommend reading carefully the information on the links below

More information: Travel Medical Insurance on the website fo the Ministry of Interior (external website)

More information: PVZP Foreigners’ Comprehensive Medical Insurance Plus (external website)

Mixed EU & non-EU couples + children and Public Health Care

An non-EU spouse or registered partner will enjoy all rights of an EU-citizen - except for one thing: Public Health Care. Even with a Temporary Residence Permit, the non-EU person does not automatically have rights to enroll into Public Health Care.

Having said this, under certain conditions non-EU spouses and children can be put under the Public Health Care of the EU-spouse. Since the regulations are quite complex, we recommend talking to our consultant about the specifics.

Health Insurance & Pregnancy

People that have Public Health Care and a Trade License that plan to or are pregnant do not need to take special measures for the health insurance. Public Health Care covers the costs for checks, birth and newborn.

For people on commercial Complex Care Health Insurance it is a different story; usually nothing is covered and a special, very expensive, Pregnacny Insurance needs to be concluded in the very early stages of pregancy!

NOTE: In order to get maternity benefits, Premiums must be paid on top of the Social Security contributions !!! Confusingly, this is called 'health insurance' - but it is paid to the Social Security. See Nemocenské pojištění OSVČ (external link)

If you are eligible for Public Health Care, continue to: Public Health Care
or continue to: Trade License Registration Service